5 Reasons Why Dental Exams Are So Important
Most people think that if they’re not having any dental problems, or pain with their teeth, then there’s no need to visit the dentist in Houston
The truth is that getting routine dental checkups can keep dental infections and some types of emergencies from happening in the first place. At Albright Dentistry we encourage Houston families to visit us on a regular basis to ensure their oral health stays its best.
What happens during a six-month checkup?
- Preventive Cleaning – One of the main things that we do when you visit is perform a prophylaxis cleaning or “prophy” for short. During this appointment, our dental hygienist will use special instruments to remove the plaque and tartar buildup that has built up since your last cleaning.Even patients who brush and floss religiously should have periodic prophies. It’s important to do so because a toothbrush isn’t capable of cleaning hard-to-reach places. Back molars, below the gumlines, and between teeth are prone to having buildup, which if not removed will lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Dental Exam – When our Houston dentist checks your teeth, they’ll be looking for decay, breaks, cracks, or anything that appears abnormal. In dentistry, as time goes by, conditions that go unnoticed get worse, and never better. Getting regular check-ups can prevent most problem areas from becoming painful and infected. Undiagnosed, ignored, or untreated can cause you to lose your teeth.
- X-Rays (As Needed) – Having x-rays of your teeth helps our Houston dentist provide you with an even better exam and a more conclusive diagnosis. Not all dental problems are visible by just looking with the naked eye. For example, decay between two teeth isn’t visible without an x-ray. Neither is an abscess or infection.
- Oral Cancer Screening – A dental checkup doesn’t stop with your teeth. Our Houston dentist will thoroughly examine all of the soft and hard tissue of your mouth to check for suspicious areas of cancer. If anything is found that looks abnormal, we can have a biopsy done and get it tested. Through early detection, we can get you treated more quickly and quite possibly save your life.
- TMJ Screening – Some patients grind their teeth and they’re not even aware of it. When we perform your exam, we check for signs of wear that may tell us you’re grinding in your sleep. We may recommend that you wear a nightguard to prevent damaging your tooth enamel. It’s a good idea to keep an eye on conditions like this, and we can help you do that with regular checkups.Teeth grinding can lead to serious TMJ issues that are painful and prevent you from being able to open your mouth.
Schedule Your Checkup Today
Now that you know what you’ll receive when book a dental checkup, you can see why it’s so important to schedule one on a regular basis. If you’re past due for an exam, then give Albright Dentistry in Houston a call today. We’ll gladly take care of all of your oral health needs!